4.28.2011

Day #5- Topic #17- Your highs and lows of this past year

At first when I read this topic, I thought "year" only applied to 2011.  But then realized that it could also apply to 4/28/10-4/28/11.  And boy, has it been a great year!


Let's start with the lows (it can only get better from here, right?)

I only have one...

The low point of my year was when my grandma's sister, Aunt Marian, passed away.  She was the matriarch of our family, the glue that held everyone together.  Growing up I remember trying on all her clothes and makeup.... "helping" her cook breakfast.... and the way she always called me "my princess".  It truly was a very difficult time for me and my family.



The highs of my life?

Well, one of the greatest highs for me is when my husband and I took a trip to Guam and visited my Aunt Marian before she passed.  I'm not sure if she understood our conversations, but I did get a smile and a hand squeeze.  I was able to introduce my husband to my relatives on Guam and share with him the roots of my mother's family.  It was really important for me that he could learn about my culture and heritage, deeper than I could ever describe to him.  We ate a lot, laughed a lot, and cried a lot.  It was a trip we will never forget.





Other great highs?  

Of course when we got married in July 2010.  It took a lot of energy to plan but it was a great day.  I never refer to it as the happiest day in my life because I know that our life together will bring even better days to us!
And our honeymoon was fantastic as well! We went on a cruise in the Mediterranean. It was amazing! We visited ports in Italy, Croatia, Greece, and Turkey.  It was a trip of a lifetime.  We still enjoy talking about all the things we did, sights we've seen, foods we ate... I'm so glad we decided to do a big honeymoon early after the wedding rather than wait.  

How has the past year treated you?  I must say it's been a fantastic year for me!

3 comments:

  1. great highs and lows! my grandpa died a few years ago, and it was so hard. it's so great to have older people to look up to and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is tough, losing the ones we love is definitely a low.. and I like how you don't refer to your wedding day as "the happiest day of your life" because you know your life TOGETHER will bring even happier days...

    The past year has treated me with adventure. There probably isn't a day that passes I don't stop and think at least once, "Wow. I lived in ALABAMA!!" ..Even when I was living there I would catch myself thinking, "Holy crap.. I'm living in Alabama!" haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awesome news that you got to bring your husband to visit your family. What a wonderful experience for both of you.

    The last year has been a challenge as both of my parents parents (my grandparents) have started to need a lot of additional care. It's been sad to see my grandparents on both sides decline so quickly.

    On the plus side, I'm incredibly happy with my life & feel blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Hey Gorgeous!

Thanks for reading. I love hearing from my readers so please share what's on your mind!

{Be sure to set up your email address so I can reply! I try to respond to each and every comment, usually via email. Don't worry, no one sees your email but me and I only use it to respond to comments. If you are a no-reply-blogger than I'll just respond within the post, so be sure and check back!}

Pin It button on image hover