3.28.2011

Family time is always a good time...

I'm back!!

It's been a whole weekend with no posts... But it was a GREAT weekend with my amazing family!

We left Honolulu on Friday night and as soon as we landed on Maui, I went straight to the Lahaina Civic Center (the hall) to help set up.  We were lucky enough to get access the night before the party so my cousins were able to set up the tables and stage area.  It was an easy night and we left early back to our grandparents' house for dinner and great family time.


The day of the party, we had to get an early start.  There were lots of things to get done: put the food together, finish decorating, plate the desserts, blow up the balloons.... so much that it's still a little hazy.

My cousins and I decorated the stage area.  This is where Baby Michael's banner was displayed and the center of the party. 










While we set up the hall, our parents, grandparents, and friends helped to prepare the food.  And let me tell you, there was a lot of food!



Above is my dad cooking the chicken for a local dish called Chicken Long Rice.  It's a clear noodle dish with shredded chicken, chopped ginger, green onions, and chicken broth.  Delish! The other pic is of my cousin and I wrapping 200 Pigs in a Blanket... we are great multitaskers!

We also had lots of fish (lomi lomi salmon- traditional hawaiian food, black crab, poke- chopped raw fish with sea salt and seasonings), kalua pig (roasted pig cooked in an imu or underground oven), squid lu'au (stew made from taro leaves and coconut milk), poi (pounded taro mixed with water), pasta, salad, and probably other stuff I forgot...







When our family hosts a party, we work really hard.  Cousins and friends serve the guests, run the food from the kitchen to the food line, serve drinks, and mingle when we can.  I was able to sit briefly to enjoy a small dinner with my mom and dessert with my husband...



We had pineapples, red velvet cupcakes, chocolate cupcakes, and haupia (coconut milk pudding, almost as thick as Jell-O but oh so much better!)


All in all the party was a great success!! I didn't get to go on a run like I hoped, but had a lot of exercise setting up and helping out my family.  It's a huge tradition that we do for first birthdays and graduations.  And honestly, I can't wait for the next one!



HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY MICHAEL!!

3 comments:

  1. That was quite a party! I think that 1st birthday bash looks bigger than my wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmm!! All that food looked YUMMY--especially the haupia--now Iʻve got a meeeean craving for it!! Glad your trip home was filled with family, fun, & now memories:) ..Hoping youʻll be back again before June!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Gorgeous!

Thanks for reading. I love hearing from my readers so please share what's on your mind!

{Be sure to set up your email address so I can reply! I try to respond to each and every comment, usually via email. Don't worry, no one sees your email but me and I only use it to respond to comments. If you are a no-reply-blogger than I'll just respond within the post, so be sure and check back!}

Pin It button on image hover