4.18.2013

My Testimony Pt. 1 {And a Message for YOU}

This past Friday I made the choice to get baptized.  

For me, it was a personal decision to make a public confirmation that I am a Christian.  It was a renewal of my spirit and relationship with Jesus.

Where It All Began

I was raised in the Catholic church.  The church teaches that there are 7 Sacraments: Baptism, Reconciliation (confession), First Communion, Confirmation, Marriage, Holy Orders, and Last Rite.

Catholics are baptized when they are infants.  This is to wash away the Original Sin that every human is born with.

There's a bit more to it, but I'm not an expert.  The important thing to grasp here is that as a Catholic, my baptism was not my choice but my parents'. 

The Early Years

As early as I can remember, I've known who Jesus is.  I went to a Christian pre-school and learned that Jesus loves me.  We sang songs and listened to Bible stories. 

K-8th grade was spent at a Catholic elementary school.  We had our religion books where we learned more about Bible stories and who Jesus was and why a relationship with Him is so important.  We also learned Catholic doctrine about Sacraments and sins and penance and all other Catholic official teachings. 

The Day I Accepted Jesus

During my entire childhood I learned a lot about who Jesus was and what He did and that He loved me.

Sadly, this was not the relationship He so desired with me.  I knew about Him but I didn't know Him.

When I was 15, I was attending a public high school so religion classes weren't offered.  This was also the year I was preparing for my Sacrament of Confirmation (confirming me as a believer of Christ and anointing me as a follower).  Part of that preparation included an overnight retreat with the rest of my Sunday school class.

It was two days long.

It was life changing.

This was the first time I learned what it meant to have a relationship with Christ.  I don't remember all that was said, but I remember there was crying.  Lots and lots of crying. 

That night I asked Jesus into my heart.  I have known His stories and teachings for over 10 years but did not have a relationship with Him.

I became very involved with my youth group and our afternoon bible studies.  I wanted more and more of Jesus. My heart was on fire for Him and I was thirsty to learn more.

But that passion didn't last.  In fact, it lasted about a few months, at most.

Through high school and college I struggled with my faith and obedience.

WHAT?!
"You mean to tell me it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows after you accepted Jesus into your heart?"

Exactly.

It was almost the exact opposite.

You guys, life got hard.  

I was a rebellious and disrespectful teenager.  It was rough.  

And college? Oh my.

My first semester started out great- I read my Bible every day.  I confessed my sins to Jesus and repented from my wild high school rebellion days.

I started to attend InterVarsity with my RA.  I met a great group of believers.  I even attended the Fall Retreat! 

I was in it to win it. 

Little did I know how close I was to plummeting down into darkness.  

What happened in the next couple of months propelled me down so far into a deep, dark separation from God.

What Happened Next?

Eventually things turned up (and I'll be sharing the rest of my journey soon).

I don't want this to sound like a "Stay tuned for Part 2!" kinda ending.

But there is something I pray that you'll grasp.

If no other reader gets this but you, I'll be grateful.  

Because this message is for you.

There is nothing you can or cannot do that will make Jesus love you less. 
There is nothing you can or cannot do that will make Jesus love you more. 
He loves you.
He wants a relationship with you.
Whether you consider yourself a Christian, Agnostic, Atheist, whatever.
I know the Truth. 
And I can not hold back. 
I will not hold back.
I refuse to stay silent on this.
Being a Christian does not mean you'll have an easier life.
Yes, we share an amazing relationship with God, the Creator, and our salvation is wrapped up in Him for an eternity in Heaven.
But life on Earth does not get easier.
It may get harder.
It may get messier.
You will be tested in your faith.
And you will fail.
But as believers we are covered by the grace of Jesus.
What does that mean?
It means that when we fail- we are impatient, rude, angry, hateful, jealous, prideful, lazy- filthy in sin.
He extends His grace to us.
In all of our brokenness and filthiness- in all of our sin- 
He longs for us.
Because He loves us.
Because He loves you.
When we fall short, His grace and His love is what covers the distance. 
We will never be good enough to make it into Heaven on our own.
But we can with Jesus.
He makes up for all of our short comings.
All we have to do is accept His grace, His love, His salvation.
He is reaching His hand towards you.
All you have to do is hold on.
Because He loves YOU.

{If you need someone to talk to about your faith, pray with, or have questions about accepting Jesus into your life, please email me at islestyleliving@gmail.com or comment below}


2 comments:

  1. Well said! Can't wait to read the rest of the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful! What a wonderful testimony and I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Hey Gorgeous!

Thanks for reading. I love hearing from my readers so please share what's on your mind!

{Be sure to set up your email address so I can reply! I try to respond to each and every comment, usually via email. Don't worry, no one sees your email but me and I only use it to respond to comments. If you are a no-reply-blogger than I'll just respond within the post, so be sure and check back!}

Pin It button on image hover