4.04.2013

Hips Don't Lie

If you were to take a look at my hips, they'd tell you a couple of things.

This weight loss thing is not as easy as it was 5+ years ago.

When I was an undergraduate student in USD, I had impeccable  time management skillz.

Seriously.

Not to toot my own horn (let's be real, toot toot!), but during my busiest schedule, I had a full time class schedule (13 units or 4 classes + a science lab), board positions in multiple student organizations, and working 3 part time jobs.

And still made it to the gym at least 4 times a week.

But now?  I'm a wife.  I'm a mommy.  I work full time AKA I sit at a desk for 35+ hours a week and spend 5 hours a week in a lunch room.

Between taking care of my husband and son, our home, getting my work done, and maybe squeezing in 30 minutes to myself, I'm exhausted.  

The "little" changes that used to add up don't really matter as much after turning 25

I've always heard how your metabolism slows when you lie about your age get older but I never really believed it.  I mean, it can't change that much when you're not yet 30, right? 

WRONG.  

Don't drink enough water?

+1 pound.

Ate too much salt?

+1 pound

Missed a veggie or fruit at mealtime?

+1 pound

Stared at a box of left over Easter chocolate?

+3 pounds

Didn't have time to exercise?

+5^37831926298 pounds.

The extra walking to/from the bus stop 5 days a week?  Not really helping.  

Turned down the sabotage Girl Scout Cookies a co-worker brought in? Good for you, you will only gain 0.543 pounds for looking at them.

Seriously.  The little things that should be adding up aren't doing squat anymore and the little things that never affected me are now HUGE THINGS!

HUGE! 

I guess a lot has changed since those glorious college days.  

I'm older.

I've had a baby. 

Apparently that changes your body just a bit.

The helpful truths my hips do tell:

Exercise is muy importante.

Like, duh. Really important.

So important that I'm asking my husband to take on dinner responsibilities 2X a week. GASP! 

I know that it's not a huge deal, but I like to provide the meals for my family and yes, my pride sometimes gets in the way of asking for help.  

So after putting our son to bed I'm heading to our complex's fitness center, twice a week! While he graciously gets dinner going.

And on the weekends I'll get to fit in my lengthier workouts- think total body strength training on one day and longer cardio on another.  

That's the plan anyway.

As for my eating?

Oi vei.

I've been tracking my food for a couple days and have noticed one huge glaring oh-so-obvious issue with my weight loss plan.

I eat WAY too much.

My meals aren't too bad.  

But the snacks?

Oh my goodness, the snacks are outrageous!!

Those snacking choices are what push me over my limit each and every day.

The worst part of this?  I know better.

I've been down this road before.  I know what it takes.

Hard work.  Dedication. Consistency. 

I KNOW I KNOW I KNOW!

But the will power is gone and it's harder to see results (um, OK.  It wouldn't be hard to see results if I was actually making a better effort).

....And I'm just going to end this whiny post now.  After writing all of this I realize that YES, losing weight is hard.  But so is being overweight.  

They are both hard.  

This past week has been a "re-awakening" of sorts and I now realize that it's not as easy as it was as a college undergrad.

But still worth it.

YUP- I'm still worth it!




10 comments:

  1. I'm right there with ya! I need to get my butt in gear (in more ways than one) and get my eating under control and start exercising. No more excuses.

    We are worth it!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are!

      I'm trying to focus now on being positive about my baby steps- as long as we're moving forward, we're doing a great job!

      Delete
  2. Don't be too hard on yourself! Being a mommy is a tough 24/7 job. Making time to even go to the bathroom was priority before making time to go to the gym! ..lol Im finally able to lose the weight I wanted and keep it off though, exercise takes so much discipline. I love workouts with kettlebells at home. They're helping with my core. And you can do 15 right before you go to bed or whenever your little one is napping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you're so right! I'm just trying to squeeze in 30 second bathroom breaks =)

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I dont even have a husband or a baby so I really have no excuses for my extra poundage. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could have been me writing this post. I have not been motivated for exercise at all lately. This is the second time today that I have seen that quote at the end of your post. I think it's a sign! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4/07/2013

    Such an awesome, raw-honest post Nessa -- I love it!! My body type definitely demands that I work-out to achieve my desired beach body. Meaning, just eating right or making good food choices will NOT get me there exclusively. Losing weight IS hard -- and maintaining weight IS hard, too!! I think it's fan-freakin-tastic how you are literally making time to work out. I can't imagine my life being as demanding as yours since you have a son, so this is a blatant reminder that I need to reprioritize -- especially since "healthy living" is absolutely my biggest objective. :) xoox's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister, you are always so encouraging!

      I really wish I took my "me time" more seriously pre marriage and babies. I just always thought it would work itself out like it always did in the past.

      Oh, and this getting older thing? NO JOKE. So much harder!

      You can do it- you've always been one of my inspiration sources =)

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! I've nominated you for a Liebster Award :)

    http://thewonderingbrain.blogspot.com/2013/04/from-words-of-michael-jackson-whos-bad.html

    BTW... I lost 50 lbs. from October. YOU CAN DO IT!!

    Jessica
    The Wondering Brain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW! Congrats on the weight loss! That's amazing!

      (and thank you for the nomination!)

      Delete

Hey Gorgeous!

Thanks for reading. I love hearing from my readers so please share what's on your mind!

{Be sure to set up your email address so I can reply! I try to respond to each and every comment, usually via email. Don't worry, no one sees your email but me and I only use it to respond to comments. If you are a no-reply-blogger than I'll just respond within the post, so be sure and check back!}

Pin It button on image hover